Tributes

[ Donate :    Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund    Save The Rhino

Next>
Subject: That's it, I guess. ( 1 of 2 )
Posted by Bill Laird

You know, Douglas passed a long time ago. I didn't say or do anything about it, really, except tell a few people that my favorite author, whom they hadn't read, had died. It went away.

Some time ago, a friend sent me the article announcing A Salmon of Doubt, and I read it, and was happy that if we couldn't have DNA, if I could never meet him or tell him how much I enjoyed his books, at least I'd have, well.. one last chance to see, I guess.

Today I was in the restroom, where I do a good portion of my thinking, and thought that it might be a good idea to try and find more information about this collection. I didn't really find much. Scarcely more than was in the article I read a while back, really. But this isn't a message to ask for information. It's not the appropriate time or forum to do so. I should never have gone looking for information, because I would never have had to face the fact that there just is no more DNA. He hadn't written a book in a long time, and if he never did until the day I died, I would have just been mad that he never wrote another book, but happy that I got to read the ones he did. When he died first, well, I wasn't prepared. And I didn't think about it. And now, well.. I miss him. Stupid stupid stupid to miss a person I never would have met.

I know that if anyone ever wants to read the things that I write, it will be because I learned (or stole?) so much from DNA.

But nobody reads the things I write now, and you shouldn't care how I feel about his passing. I'm not famous and I didn't know him. I probably won't be back to read any responses this could garner. I just had to write it because it made me feel better, and because I hope if heaven has the internet, he'll know how glad a tallish American kid who was born between the publishings of the first two books was that he spent some time on Earth.

It's not fair, though. Rock Stars die. Parents die. Puppies die. Friends die. I'm prepared for these things. John Flansburgh, Dave Sim, Neil Gaiman, Kurt Vonnegut.. and especially.. ESPECIALLY Douglas Adams should die. Nobody teaches you, not afterschool specials or commercials or even the internet teaches you how to deal with it when a reasonably obscure, but extremely personally important person you've never met dies.

It just isn't fair, but thank God you existed in the first place, DNA.

-Bill Laird
Next>

[ Back to thread list ]

(c) 2001